How to build a quick, simple, and easy patio.
- Select a spot for your patio.
- Take up the sod (grass) from the spot using the flat end of a pick ax or your favorite tool.
- Make a trench around the perimeter of your patio so that the lawn mower wheel can go in the trench and can mow flush against the patio.
- OPTION: you could lay down a barrier to help stop weeds. I don't like the idea of using plastic because plastic is not natural, some fibers from weedblock can trap earthworms, and plastic tends to tear up in a few seasons. I haven't tried this, but I could just lay down some big cement squares and then proceed to the next step.
- Fill in the patio spot with gravel and lightly tamp it into the moist clay (you would not do this if you used barrier you would just put gravel on top of it). Add more gravel, several inches (the more the better from what I can see because weeds will grow up through just a little gravel) to keep weeds from growing up You can purchase rocks at a store like Lowe's or collect them out of your yard, if available.
When starting a new project, I like to find use resources that are laying around the house. This allows me to repurpose what I have and it allows me to save money, and use my creativity.
I made my quick and easy patio between two Square Foot Garden boxes. I just took up the sod between them. My gravel patio is four feet by nine feet (4' x 9'). It took very little time and effort to make it. After the patio was completed, I placed a bench on it looking out onto the yard. [UPDATE: (1) I DID NOT PUT ENOUGH GRAVEL DOWN SO WEEDS AND GRASS SPRUNG UP IN AREAS (2) WHEN IT RAINS WATER COLLECTS NEAR THE FRONT OF THE PATIO.] For privacy, I've begun planting a living fence around it. I also plan to make trellises for the SFG boxes which will also add privacy. [UPDATE: My living fence is not high but the summer time plants get fairly high. I don't know if I'll get around to the trellises. I may purchase some premade trellises] This area is a nice place to sit and read or meditate or rest from gardening labours [UPDATE: We do enjoy it in this manner. I've added a birdbath about 15 feet in front of the bench. I fell asleep on the bench one day and woke up to see many birds on the feeder.].